Yay! Launch time!
I have spent much time and effort getting things ready before the arrival of our second baby who will be the model/guineapig/subject for PHB: Project Handmade Baby.
On the occasional blog-hop I've been inspired by different little things. A design student who challenged herself to only wear clothing and shoes made by her for a year. Mothers who challenge themselves to make new things for their wee ones. Mothers who use their maternity leave time to have creative hobbies as their side project ... oh how I miss Mila's Daydreams!
SO! Here's the deal with PHB. Project Handmade Baby: A fun project with creative outlet for me, and also hopefully a chance to introduce you to some of my dear friends who also ride the geek wave and blog.
Every day for his/her first year of life, my second child will wear at least one piece of handmade clothing.
- 365 days duration, starting from day of birth
- Photo to be taken of what is worn each day
- Handmade clothing includes handknits, crocheted items and sewn garments
- Clothing may be full-cover headwear, underwear (including nappies), tops, bottoms, dresses (if it’s a girl), overalls, footwear
- Clothing may be made by me (bonus points), a family member, a friend, purchased (brand new or second-hand), gifted to us, handed down or on loan (bonus points)
- Clothing from mass-produced origin with embellishment by hand is last resort only (eg. A bonds singlet with hand-embroidery, a onesie with appliqué etc.)
- Items may be worn more than one day in a row – it is a baby after all!
Reasons for PHB:
- Inspiration from a conversation: “A baby in (major baby retail label) looks like a little person, but a baby in knitwear looks like a baby.”
- Save money
- Increase my knitting repertoire and skills
- Have another excuse to have some 'Me Time' at my sewing machine, and use up some of my fabric stash
- Support local crafty types who make beautiful handmade goodness
So... that's the first project launched, I'm sure you can all guess what the other project I've been working on for the last few months is!