|I may come back and edit this pic later, but at 10:30pm last night when I finished this, I took a couple of snaps, put them together on PicFrame iPhone app, and crawled home to bed.|
Inspired long, long ago by this post, and having a kick up the pants by my very clever friend to actually DO the project rather than just talk and dream about it, I finally got around to the Pimp My Stroller project. (Anyone who visited me in November, December and this month will have seen my list of projects on a cupboard wall in the kitchen - the only thing that really changed was the month at the top!)
I've made it with a bit of padding so it may not be as easy to squish up when folding, but it makes it feel a bit more luxurious for our LaFawnduh (resident dolly - because my boys are allowed, and love to play with dolls).
So here's how it all happened:
1. Take one very loved stroller purchased on Trade Me for all of $10 which needs a bit of TLC.
2. Realise that the mould spots on the material are far too gross for my liking and cut the cover off for a good hot wash.
3. Leave the material and stroller frame sitting in their little possies for months and months.
4. Get an email from a friend with her daughter's Pimped Stroller and feel ridiculous for taking so long to do NOTHING.
5. Resume dreaming and thinking about how to make it, which material/s, how to make it nicely padded...
Actually let's start again.
1. Take one stroller purchased for $10 from Trade Me.
2. Remove material cover and use this as a pattern for all the 'bits. Also cut off straps and front clip to use on the new cover.
3. Cut pattern sized pieces of main material (a fat quarter from the wonderful Sew Pretty), backing material, and wadding. (I 'upcycled' our old mattress protector which still had plenty of thickness in the corners.) Also cut an extra folded piece of backing material with sewn channel bits for the bottom frame poles to go into.
4. Sandwich all materials together, sew around the outside in a long stitch and trim excess material from the edges.
5. Attach straps and clip to the cover and sew in place using a tight zig-zag for kid-proofing. Join the two pattern pieces together (right sides facing) and sew in long stitch, ensure no stitching is seen on the main material.
6. Make two small loops (I made them open with resin snaps to loop around the frame for ease of removal for washing) at the top of the back piece out of bias binding. (The bias binding is from my late grandmother's stash which I use almost exclusively just for my children, 'cause I'm sentimental like that!) Sew bias binding around the seams to secure and close.
7. Attach to frame, add LaFawnduh the dolly, and leave it to surprise the 3 year old in the morning!
And it was a hit - Mr T made a little gasp and said "Wow, that's pitty cool Mummy!" and went off to show Daddy, and proceeded to tell him it had animals on it, and "Mummy made for lou [you, meaning himself]". Yay! Great way to finish the week.