Sunday, April 10, 2011

Days 97 - 116 (the rest of March!)

Unfortunately with life getting in the way, I didn't manage to take a photo each day for the rest of March (13th to 31st) (and occasionally it wasn't helped by having absolutely no idea where the camera was!!), and other days I didn't bother out of tiredness and thinking "Hmm, seen this same outfit a few times before..."
But as I said before I haven't dropped the ball, every day there has been at least one handmade garment or accessory on the new kid, and some days it's been the highlight of my day!  
So that aside, it's not even a digest version this time - it's a highlights version of the remainder of March in Project Handmade Baby!

 Mainstays for March: always in my nappy bag, I had the garter stitch cardy that Mum knitted.  The new kid sweats excessively in his little capsule so he ain't one of those babies you can pull out of the car and plop the capsule down and leave him sleeping.  So once he got out of the capsule, if the weather wasn't too crash hot, he got the cardy.  It still fits - just!  Although the top button doesn't do up so easily anymore.
The other mainstay for March were the blue imba pants which sadly no longer fit.  The new kid got a lot of wear out of them, and even after bombing them a couple of times they washed up well and still look like new.
 The green cotton booties were worn a whole heap (especially as they go with his brown clothes which I can't get enough of).  He's a typical kiwi kid, can't stand anything on his feet, and we have half-pairs of booties all over the house.
 Same with the blue booties - I managed to get a shot just before he kicked one of them off.  With those fiddly little ties they take longer to put on than he takes to kick em off some days!
As I said... blue pants a mainstay, and they match perfectly with the blue booties.
 Lots of fabulous bibs are getting a good workout, including this gorgeous designer fabric one I scored for all of $5 at a Plunket 2nd Hand Sale.  I have a bit of the scooter fabric in the same range but never thought of making a bib out of it... maybe if I experience 'epic fail' with the messenger bag I'm planning I'll make a couple of bibs.  Japanese linen.  Super cute and super absorbent.
 Even more absorbent - my goshorty muslin bandana bibs.  I came up with the idea when the wee guy was teething and it was a dream: they sit under the chin to soak up dribbles, but the muslin gets heavier and shrinks away which cuts down on that awwwful dribble rash.  I still haven't gotten any in the online store yet as they literally sell from my work station (read: dining table).
Ugly fish bib and transport bib... and look, we actually have a pair of booties!
Almost every single day, the new kid has been in handmade nappies too - although I'm building up a stash of fitted nappies as they suit his body better than the pocket nappies (seen left and below, all nicely lined up on my washing line!)
 And my first attempt at an overnap ... it's a little shabby but hey, ya gotta start somewhere right?!  (The overnap goes over the fitted nappies which look a lot like pocket nappies, only the ones we use have velcro closure, and no waterproof outer.  Nappies can be a confusing hobby!)

No comments: